Making Music and Enriching Lives: A Guide for All Music Teachers
Making Music and Enriching Lives fills an important niche in the very large world of books about music. It's unlike any other instructional book in the way it addresses comprehensive, across-the-board issues that affect all teachers, students, and musicians. In this book, you will find specifics not only about how to teach music, but also about how to motivate and inspire students of any age.
In this first volume of her Music for Life series, Bonnie Blanchard (with Cynthia Blanchard Acree) shares successful approaches with both students and teachers that have worked wonders in her own studio to produce successful students who are energized about their lessons and their music. These books touch on all aspects of music instruction from running a studio to student motivation and teaching technique to performing, while addressing not just the musician, but the whole person along the way.
Soft cover, 321 pages.
"A unique book that goes beyond instrumental instruction to show step by step what makes a good teacher with skilled, committed students. Beginning and experienced teachers will find new tricks and inspiration here, to rekindle their love of teaching and music. Bonnie's tips and stories will show how to run a studio, motivate students, deal with stage fright, teach artistry, and involve the whole family in music. This book is serious about music, but it's also fun—something that should always be part of good music instruction." - Sir James Galway
"Blanchard's dedication is apparent, and she holds the reader to no lesser standard. With some effort, any chapter of this book could drastically improve an aspect of your teaching.Oct. 2008" - Tristan Arnold, Strings Magazine
Table of Contents
Part 1. Enriching Lives
1. Transform Your Teaching Style: The Music for Life Method
2. Focus on Relationships First
3. Instill Pride and Respect
4. Show Students Your Commitment to Excellence
5. Promote a Love of Learning and Independence
6. Create an Atmosphere of Achievement
7. Attitude Is Everything
8. Make Practice a Priority
9. Increase Success with the Music for Life Notebook System
10. Energize Students with Goals
11. Recognize and Reward Results and Effort
12. Foster Happy, Confident Students
13. Host Fun Musical Events
Part 2. Making Music
14. Use Practice Tricks for Fast Results
15. Musicality Makes the Difference
16. Multiply the Fun in Chamber Music
17. Take the Fear Out of Memorization
18. Help Students Become Confident Sight Readers
Part 3. Tackling Your Toughest Teaching Challenges
19. In the Beginning
20. Make Learning Fun (and Less Painful) for Adults
21. Troubleshoot Problems and Turn around Complaints
22. Prepare Students for Performance
23. Conquer Stage Fright
24. Ace the Audition
25. When It's Time to Say Goodbye
26. Ask the Teacher
Part 4. Running Your Private Music Studio
27. Establish Your Private Studio and Develop a Business Plan
28. Get Paid What You're Worth
29. A Life in the Arts: Is It for You?
30. Make the Teacher's Life Easier
For Further Reading
All online purchases greater than $200 (before tax) are eligible for free shipping within the US. (Some Exceptions apply.) Online purchases over $200 being shipped to locations outside the United States do not qualify for free shipping.
Items returned from a purchase utilizing the free shipping offer that brings the original invoice under $200 will result in the original shipping charge being re-applied.
Once shipment has reached its destination according to the shipping carrier tracking information selected, Carolyn Nussbaum Music Company is no longer responsible for the package.
*Please note that some items may vary slightly from the pictures on our website as manufacturers make changes to their products.
We accept Visa, Mastercard, and Discover for online purchases up to $10,000.
You may also assemble your order online and pay offline using the "Offline Payment" payment method during the checkout process. In this case, once you submit your order, you will be contacted via phone or email for payment details before your order is processed. For offline orders we accept personal checks, bank checks, money orders, or travelers checks, with other legal tender acceptable only per arrangement.